Sunday, July 28, 2013

Walking In Ansel's Footsteps

The other day I decided to head south from Santa Fe on the Old Las Vegas Highway (Highway 300), which served as a portion of Route 66 until 1937 when the road was rerouted and straightened in several sections to save drivers travel time... About 15 miles down the road this section of Highway 300 came to a dead end - with a church sitting there.  There were no signs or other visible markings that would give me an idea of the church's name, but it appeared to be in fairly good condition, leading me to think that it was still, at least occasionally, used.  Later I did some research and after some digging around on the Internet I found out that: 1) it is referred to - depending on the source - as Nuestra Senora de la Luz in Canoncito (Our Lady of Light in Canoncito) or simply the Apache Canyon Church, and 2) in 1961 Ansel Adams photographed this site (Church and Gate, Canoncito, New Mexico)... Mystery solved, and as a photography geek I thought it was pretty neat that I stopped, unknown to me at the time, to take a few photos where fifty odd years before Ansel Adams had stood... 


A closer shot of the entry...


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 18-55 DX

No comments:

Post a Comment