Friday, November 7, 2014

Ghost Ranch

I've written about Georgia O'Keeffe's Ghost Ranch and the Abiquiu area of northern New Mexico briefly in the past, but I haven't explored the subject in depth, which is surprising because we have made numerous trips to (or through) the area since moving here.  It is a popular destination for tourists, yet retains a sense of peace, nestled in the hills, set between two ridges of red rock walls with the Cerro Pedernal visible in the distance.  

I considered going through my files and putting together a "best of the best photos" post about the area, but I decided to go in a different direction and write about a quick day trip to Ghost Ranch my wife and I took several days ago.  We set out with a simple agenda - let's go to Ghost Ranch and find the labyrinth, a feature we had only recently become aware of.  So, we headed out, taking our time and enjoying the drive to and through Abiquiu and on to the ranch.  

After a brief look at the gift shop we set out on the path towards the labyrinth and soon came across this karesansui (Japanese rock garden), an unexpected feature.

A little further up the path we found the labyrinth.  Even though the sun was high in the sky and there were few clouds in the background when looking straight down the entrance to the labyrinth, I took a few shots.

I walked to the right and took a few more shots, this time placing the mesa on the right side of the labyrinth while incorporating the clouds into the shot.

After spending some time at the labyrinth we worked our way back towards the visitor center.  Sitting among the guest cottages near the visitor center is Ghost House, where O'Keeffe stayed as a guest during her first visit to Ghost Ranch.  As soon as I stepped inside the house I saw this vase sitting on the table underneath a window.  Soft light spilled into the room from outside, and I started taking photos of the setting, working my way closer to the vase, which I finally decided would be the main element of my composition.  

The adjacent room featured this vase sitting in the wall.  Again, soft light filled the room, and I liked the simple presentation of the vase set in the white wall.

Mounted on a corner of the house is a bull's skull, an image incorporated into several of O'Keeffe's paintings.  I decided to switch things up a bit and photographed the skull using my phone.  I recently joined Twitter (@KSchafferPhoto) so I've been taking more photos with my phone lately (and Tweeting them), using this as not only another communications tool but as a creative outlet as well.

Georgia O'Keeffe once said: "I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught."  When O'Keeffe came to northern New Mexico, she instantly felt at home, inspired, and transformed.  I've had a similar experience since moving to Santa Fe.  My passion for photography was soon rekindled, inspired by the landscape, culture, and rich history of the region.  I've produced more work and felt more in tune with my creative muse than at any point since I first picked up a camera.  Ghost Ranch, where Georgia O'Keeffe spent much of her life, and the surrounding area have played a large part in sparking that passion.  Upon seeing the red rock landscape with its sweeping vistas and open skies I knew northern New Mexico was where I needed to be.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 16-85 DX VR (first 5 photos)
iPhone 5, processed with Snapseed (last photo)
View my online portfolio here

No comments:

Post a Comment