Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Twin Peaks Trail - Eklutna Lake


A beautiful fall Saturday, winter fast approaching.  I decided to go hiking, thinking that I would get in some exercise and enjoy one of the last glorious days of an Indian summer before the cold grind of another winter set in.  Of course my camera would be at my side (or, more accurately, hanging around my neck).  I had two goals in mind – to enjoy the day, and to get in some more time working on my craft.

I decided to tackle the Twin Peaks Trail at Eklutna Lake.  “Moderate to difficult” the trail guide said.  1800 foot elevation gain over 2.6 miles.  Piece of cake I thought. 

As I started out on the trail, which quickly turned into a climb instead of a leisurely stroll, it wasn’t long before I was captivated by the patterns of the shadows that crossed the trail…



There were few people on the trail, and I made good time.  The grade increased, my breath quickened, and I was enjoying the open air, although I was wondering when I would see something other than the path before me and the trees to either side.  Soon, as I rounded a slight bend in the trail, I noticed an opening in the trees and a glimpse of Eklutna Lake below.  A few steps off the trail and the scene unfolded…



After a brief rest, and few photos later, I headed out again.  Here I must note that I had a plan when it came to the day’s photographic “goals”.  First, I was going to use only my 18-55 mm lens on the hike up to my final destination (wherever that may be), second, I would then switch to my 55-200 mm for the descent, and last, I would make a conscious effort to use my polarizing filter, which I has only played with once or twice. 

On the way up I took quite a few photos, as I rested at the halfway point overlooking the lake, walking up the trail, and finally at my final destination.  I got a few photos that I was reasonably happy with, including the two which I’ve presented already. 

Once I reached the end of the formal trail, 2.6 miles and 1,800 feet of elevation gain later, I decided to go further.  Although I had a great view of Twin Peaks and Goat Rock, I wanted to go higher, reach the crest of the ridge to my right, and look out over Eklutna Lake.  So, I headed up the smaller, steeper path, and made my way another mile or so until I reached the top of the ridge.  It was steep, slow going at spots, but well worth the view…



I spent about an hour enjoying the view, eating a snack, and taking photos.  I also had a few “learning experiences” that came to light when I reviewed the day’s work.  The clear, bright day lead to quite a few photos with lens flair or excessive haze in the background, then I picked-up some very noticeable dust specks that can’t be ignored (and the photos weren’t good enough to spend time cloning them out in Photoshop).  Lesson/s learned. 

I took my time coming down, because of the steep grade and unsure footing at spots, and because I was enjoying the scenery and comfortable weather.  I also stopped occasionally to take a few photos, and was rewarded in one area with an abundance of dried wildflowers that caught my attention.





When I reached the halfway point on the way back I stopped again and took a few photos.  The angle of the setting sun was perfect for using my polarizing filter to take a few shots of Eklutna Lake…



After resting a bit, I headed down the final stretch of trail, stopping to take a few shots of an old abandoned car I had noticed earlier…



…and a leaf wonderfully backlit in the late afternoon sun…



All in all, it was a good day.  The last couple of times that I had went out with the idea of taking a few photos and seeing what I could come up with, I was – quite frankly – discouraged, because I had come up empty handed.  Although I have a long way to go before I reach the technical proficiency that I strive for, and accepting that the photos I’ve presented here are o.k. but nothing spectacular, I know that what I can do today is better than what I could do yesterday…

No comments:

Post a Comment