Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Fridays


For several years local art galleries, cafes, and restaurants have hosted “First Friday”, where visual artists (painters, photographers, mixed media) are in the spotlight the first Friday of each month.   Anchorage art galleries stay open late to celebrate new works by local artists.  A map of participating venues is included in the Anchorage Press (a local, independent weekly newspaper) the Thursday before the event.  Art lovers and curiosity seekers roam from venue to venue, often sampling appetizers and enjoying a glass of wine while taking in the work of local artists.  The displayed work typically stays up until the following month’s First Friday event, giving the artist a full month to show their talents.


Although I haven’t had the opportunity to participate in a First Friday showing, I did have a selection of photographs on display at Borders Books during the month of July.  I can say that leading up to that I was nervous, apprehensive, and - quite frankly – wondering what the heck I was doing!  As the month unfolded I generally got positive feedback, and it turned out to be a rewarding experience.  Which leads me to…


One of the Division Directors at work has decided that she would like to display art by office staff in one of the hallways.  Our own little “First Friday” if you will.  I was approached to be the first “artist” to have their work on display.  After some goading, I agreed, and now several of my large prints (16 x 20) are hanging in the hallway downstairs for the month of September.  Why do I mention this?  Because this is more nerve wracking than a public showing at Borders!  Knowing that nameless strangers are looking at your work is one thing, having to cross paths with co-workers in the hallway while they stare at your prints is another!  I never would have guessed that, of the two, this would be the one that I'm truly nervous about...

No comments:

Post a Comment