Friday, October 17, 2014

An Image - The Process

Recently I had the pleasure of finding out that two of my photos have been selected as finalists for "Your Best Shot(s)," the Albuquerque Photographers' Gallery's Annual Juried Photography Show.  In light of that, I thought I'd do something a little different with this blog post and discuss how one of those photos came to be...

Last February my wife and I took a day trip up to Taos, New Mexico, and at one point we found ourselves driving along Taos Canyon Road.  I didn't really notice this old home as we passed by the first time, but on the return leg of the trip, it caught my eye, and we pulled over so I could take in the scene.  After a quick look I decided to take a few photos, starting with wide shots, walking back and forth.  Finally this angle, one that looked down the long length of the decaying porch with the stormy sky in the background, was the one that grabbed me.

As I walked along the porch I came across this boot, sitting there, alone, its story lost to time...

I then took a few steps forward and zoomed in even closer to make the boot the definite emphasis of the photo...

When I shot each of these scenes, I decided to photograph them using bracketed shots, so I had the option of processing the scene using a technique called HDR, or High Dynamic Range photography.  In a nutshell, HDR photography is the technique of combining multiple exposures of the same scene so that the full range of light present can be represented in the final image.  Another advantage of using bracketed shots is that later, when processing images (I'm currently using Abobe Lightroom for the majority of my work), you have the option of choosing which exposure you feel best represents the scene or mood you were trying to capture.  

When processing the first photo I used a single shot, going for a darker image with a moody sky...

When processing the middle photo I decided to combine three images using the HDR technique.  First I merged the three photos using a a program called HDR Efex Pro 2, and did some minor work in that program before saving the photo and making some final adjustments in Lightroom.  Doing so gave the photo the depth and tonal richness I was looking for...  

When processing the last photo I used a single shot, making adjustments in Lightroom.  I went with a high contrast look to "age" the scene a bit, trying to give the boot and wooden box in the background a weathered, sun bleached look...

The middle photo was the one I decided to submit to the Albuquerque Photographers' Gallery's photo contest and which became a finalist in the contest.  Ultimately, I think that in addition to "working the scene" and moving around and trying different compositions, you must be open to trying different things in the digital darkroom in order to achieve the end result that you're looking for.  It's all an ongoing process, and I'm always striving to get better, from the initial capture with the camera to the finishing touches in the digital darkroom...

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 18-55 DX

View my online gallery and order prints (and other merchandise) here

No comments:

Post a Comment