Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Walking The Streets Of Madrid

About 26 miles southwest of Santa Fe lies Madrid, New Mexico, a small town located on Highway 14, otherwise known as the Turquoise Trail.  This small town, population 204 at the time of the 2010 Census, has transformed itself from a dying mining town to a haven for artists and small shops that cater to tourists and day trippers from Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

We've been to Madrid several times since moving to Santa Fe, and I always have the camera along with me, in case something catches my eye in this quirky little town, like this brightly painted bench that sits in front of a small shop.

This being New Mexico ristras hang on doors and in windows...

This shot was taken shortly after a thunderstorm had passed through town.  The drama in the sky, the color of this painted wall, and the cactus in the foreground all pulled me in.  

The Mine Shaft Tavern is one of the places in town to grab a bite to eat.  As you step out of the tavern there's a hallway that leads to the Coal Mine Museum.  I thought that the kitschy scene and light pouring in through the cracks might make for an interesting composition.

On the back side of the Mine Shaft Tavern are a couple of chile pepper arches.  I was taking a few photos, walking around, when I noticed the position of the sun, so I stopped down my lens and tried to position the star burst from the sun so it hit the stem of the chile pepper...

If you're ever in Santa Fe or passing through the area, I would recommend a side trip to Madrid.  This little town has a unique character and, in particular, is a great place to walk around with camera in tow.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 10-24 DX

View my online gallery here

No comments:

Post a Comment