Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Morning At Bryce Point

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” ~ Ansel Adams

If it were only that simple...  

When I'm on location shooting I tend to get excited, to rush.  I've been working on trying to relax, take a deep breath, take a step to the right, or forward.  Sometimes I do this by using a tripod, forcing me to frame a scene and focus and observe, sometimes by simply reminding myself - repeatedly - to relax.  I've been making a conscious effort to be intentional about where I stand.

This past week my wife and I went to southwestern Utah, to spend time at Bryce Canyon National Park and the surrounding area.  We caught a sunset at Bryce, watched the next morning's sunrise there, and did some hiking.  On our last day in the area - July 29 - we debated how to start the day, deciding to head back to Bryce Canyon for another sunrise, this time at Bryce Point - which we hadn't checked out yet - thinking that it would be less crowded than the popular Sunrise/Sunset Point area.

Bryce Point overlooks Bryce Amphitheater, the most recognizable section of the park, from the south rim.  As we drove into the park the sky began to display streaks of orange and red and yellow that mimicked the streaked sandstone cliffs, crevices, slots, and folds of earth below.  Shortly after walking out to the point we spotted this tree, which I worked into a series of shots. 

As sunrise approached I moved to the right near the Peekaboo Trailhead, moved right and down and worked my way back and forth until I found this spot, where the foreground formed a V that framed the rising sun...


After the sun broke free of the horizon, its golden rays started to illuminate the fins and hoodoos in the amphitheater below, filling shadow and folds of earth with their warmth...

Walking back up towards the point, my original starting place, I stopped to look around and saw the sun peeking through this tree, scattering the first rays of the morning sun on the dew kissed brush...

When I got back to the main viewing area, I started zooming in, focusing on small sections of fins and hoodoos, watching the colors of the tableau below change as the sun rose higher in the sky...

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” ~ Ansel Adams

I can't say that I know where to stand, but at least now I'm moving my feet...
    

All photos taken with a Nikon D7000 and Nikkor 16-85 DX VR lens.


You can view my online portfolio and purchase prints here.

Want to keep up to date with where I'll be and what my latest creations are?
Follow me on FaceBook and Google+
I'm on Twitter @KSchafferPhoto
And I'm now sharing iPhone photos on Instagram: @kschafferphoto


 

No comments:

Post a Comment