Monday, January 6, 2014

Pecos National Historical Park

In late October of last year I headed south of Santa Fe to the Pecos National Historical Park, my first visit to the area (although I had driven by the park entrance before).  There is a short (about 1.25 miles) walking trail that winds through the park, first through the pueblo ruins before ending at what's left of an old mission.  A rock wall lines part of the trail, and I stopped to grab a few photos before moving on.  


Although the signs along the trail were informative and interesting, and the ruins of the pueblo were evident, photographically there wasn't much to work with.  Soon though, I arrived at the ruins of the Mission of Our Lady of the Angels of Porciuncula (Mission Nuestra Señora de los Angeles de Porciuncula de los Pecos), the first church at Pecos.  This mission was built beginning in 1621 by Spanish missionaries (what remains today are the remains of the second grand church built on this site in the late 1600s).  The sight of the earth toned ruins against the backdrop of the deep blue skies called out to be photographed.


I walked into the ruins, taking photos and dodging the occasional tourist.  To the left, near the back of the structure, was a doorway that lead to a small alcove.  Looking back I could see the glow of the morning sun against the interior walls...


After walking around for a bit I explored the grounds to the right of the ruins, grabbing a few more shots...


Before leaving the park I climbed down a ladder into a kiva.  It was cool, quiet, and the light was fantastic.  Once I started going through the photos later it quickly became apparent that using a sepia look captured the mood of that morning...


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 18-55 DX

Purchase prints of New Mexico here

No comments:

Post a Comment