Thursday, April 11, 2013

Maui - Seeking The Perfect Sunset



The Background
About a week ago I got back from a trip to Maui.  I’d been to Maui three times previously, but this was the first time I’ve gone in the spring.  My earlier visits to Maui were in the early winter (mid-October, late November).  The other difference  with this trip was where I stayed.  I had always stayed in South Kehei, but this time I chose to stay at the north end of Ka’anapali. 

In my three previously trips I had taken literally hundreds of sunset pictures, almost all with my Nikkor 55-200 DX VR lens.  This time I decided that I would concentrate on capturing images with my Nikkor 10-24 DX wide angle lens.  Between the change in location, change in seasons, and change in lens used I was hoping to capture images that were a bit different than before.

The Location
The view from South Kehei includes the islands of Lana’i to the northwest and Kaho’olawe to the southwest, with the sun setting in the southwest that time of year.

The view from Ka’anapali, about 31 miles north/northwest of South Kehei, includes the islands of Lana’i slightly to the southwest and Moloka’I to the northwest, with the sun setting just a few degrees above due west at the end of March/beginning of April.

The Shots
The first night, March 28, started the trip off on a good note in terms of photographic opportunities.  As the sun set some clouds moved in, the sky lit up with orange and yellow, and I managed to grab a few good shots. 


The next couple of nights were beautiful, warm, but the sky was generally lacking in clouds and the sunsets were enjoyable but not inspiring photographically.  On April 1 the tide turned a bit, some clouds came in, and God rays were cast across the horizon.  I considered switching lens so I could zoom in on the light display, but decided to stick with my initial idea of continuing to learn the ins and outs of my wide angle lens.


Then, the cloudless sunsets returned…  

Both shots – Nikon D7000, Nikkor 10-24 DX

Order a print here – top photo

Order a print here – bottom photo


No comments:

Post a Comment