Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Simple Changes

Monument Rocks, Gove County, Kansas.  I like this shot, but I was always bothered by the dust specks (sensor dust) on the far right (most noticeable), and to the left...



The solution was to crop the image so it fit an 8 x 10 print.  That took care of the dust specks, but I thought that it significantly reduced the drama in the photo that the wider angle brought, with the sweep of the clouds across the horizon....  Of course, the obvious answer is "go buy Photoshop and get rid of those dust specks." As I've mentioned before, I've continually debated in my mind what should and shouldn't be done in post processing (the "digital darkroom") with photos, why the bulk of work should be done in camera and with the eye...



Recently I bought Apple Aperture, which I thought would give me a chance to do some basic post processing on my photos.  So, I returned to this image.  This afternoon I used the "Retouch" tool to get rid of the dust specks, and the "Auto Enhance" feature to bring out the blue of the sky a bit more.  I think that this is a good compromise between "tweaking" and totally changing the original canvas...


No comments:

Post a Comment